Wednesday, May 4, 2016

No milk, thanks.

The other morning I went to make my cup of morning tea. This is a staple of my daily living. I wake up, lie in bed wishing I could sleep all day and then drag myself half asleep to the kitchen to make tea. I have been drinking a cup of orange pekoe tea every morning for about ten years. If there's no tea in the house, or milk I will walk around the house in my housecoat and slippers making a noise similar to  "Uggghhhhh.....".Usually my boyfriend will go to buy me a cup of tea from a coffee shop to stop the painful moaning or I accept my defeat and realize that the day will just be an utter disappointment. 
Getting back to my story, I woke and went to make my cup of glorious tea. I made my drink of happiness and set it down to cool off. My boyfriend came downstairs and started to make himself breakfast. I took a sip of my drink and realized it tasted...not as good as usual. I had to switch brands the last time I went to buy some, so perhaps I just wasn't adjusted to it. As I'm sipping and becoming increasingly concerned about my usual morning comfort, my boyfriend says "Did you use this milk?" Which can only mean one thing...its bad. "OH GOD!" was my response with a look of horror on my face and then BAM!!!...the flashback....

I was about 10 years old and had just come home for lunch. My Mom made me a bowl of Alphagetti and a tall glass of milk. I remember staring at the milk and thinking, "That doesn't look normal." 
Me: Mom, I think there's something wrong with the milk.
Mom: It's fine.
Me: It looks...weird.
Mom: Jennifer, the milk is fine.
I sat staring at that glass like it was cyanide. I ate my lunch but refused to touch the milk. 
Me: Mom, I'm serious. I think it's bad.
Mom: Jennifer! There is nothing wrong with the milk! Drink it!
At that moment I closed my eyes, grabbed the milk and took a swig. It was in my mouth for about two seconds when I realized that this could be a form of child abuse. I ran to the sink and spit it out.
Mom: What are you doing?!
Me: IT'S BAD! THE MILK IS BAD! Look at it!
I took the glass and shoved it in her face. 
Mom: Hmmm...yeah..that doesn't look good. I guess it went bad.

That moment has haunted me for my entire life. I stopped drinking milk after that. Then I found out I was lactose intolerant. Probably because I refused any milk and my body became adjusted. Or perhaps my body was so revolted by the event that it made a decision to reject it forever.

I guess the whole point of this story is that I drank bad milk the other day and I am thoroughly grossed out. Also, I will probably become obsessive with checking expiry dates and sniffing all dairy products for the rest of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment